Foreign Languages and Literatures: World
Purpose: To support general undergraduate education. Material will be of special interest to the following departments and programs: Foreign Languages and Cultures, Comparative Ethnic Studies, History, English, Theater, Philosophy, Anthropology, Honors Program, General Education (World Civilizations), and Political Science.General Collection Guidelines:
- Languages: The primary language of the collection is English. Major literary works are purchased selectively in the original language. Critical studies of the various literatures are usually acquired in English. Dual- language texts are purchased when available.
- Chronological Guidelines: No time period is excluded.
- Geographical Guidelines: No geographical exclusions.
- Treatment of Subject: Literary texts and critical, theoretical and historical studies of literature are acquired.
- Types of Materials: Monographs, journals, reference works. Textbooks are not ordinarily acquired. Electronic and selected audiovisual materials (e.g., language learning media) are acquired.
- Date of Publication: Emphasis is on current publications. Important older materials are acquired in reprint or in microform as funds permit.