COLLECTIONS WORKING GROUP -- *DISBANDED 9-11-02 -- May be reconfigured at a later date*
- To address acquisition, ownership, access, and other issues related to the WSU Libraries' collections and materials
- To ensure effective and efficient use of the Libraries' materials budget.
- To coordinate collection development activities campus-wide.
Membership to be appointed by Library Council:
- Assistant Director for Collections and Systems Services
- Acquisitions Supervisor
- Documents Librarian
- Head, Science Libraries
- Head, Humanities/Social Sciences Libraries
- Heads of Collection Development from:
- Social Sciences
- Health Sciences
- One representative selected by branch campus collection development heads
All members serve in an ex officio capacity, by virtue of their positions, except the branch campus representative, who serves a 1 year term.
Governance:The working group will select its own chair for an appropriate term of office and will meet regularly or as needed. The group will coordinate its activities with other working groups and library departments, as warranted. Working groups will establish procedures and make policy within the scope of their responsibilities. Working groups are accountable for their decisions and are expected to share decisions with library colleagues using the standard working groups procedure. Any proposals generated by the working group that require non-materials budget funding for implementation must be referred to Library Council for funding approval. Similarly, any proposals with very broad policy implications also need Library Council approval. The chair of the working group is expected to update Library Council on its activities on a regular basis.
APPROVED by Library Council: 8/26/98; revised membership 12/9/98; revised membership 2/9/00; revised membership 11/09/01; DISBANDED 9-11-02--may be reconfigured at a later date
- To make policy recommendations regarding the campus-wide selection of materials for purchase or addition to the collection, regardless of format.
- To recommend uniform policies and procedures for the acceptance of gifts, conservation, preservation, deselection, replacement, location of library materials, etc.
- To make policy recommendations regarding the WSU Libraries' materials budget, allocation procedures, inflation adjustments, and other matters.
- To recommend and coordinate resource sharing and cooperative collection development activities with cooperating institutions, e.g., University of Idaho, ICCL, CRL, etc.
- To evaluate and assess collections and to report collections data.
- To develop, update, and implement the WSU Libraries' collection development policies.
- To coordinate collection development activities within and between library units.
- To coordinate activities with other WSU Libraries working groups as needed.