DISTANCE LEARNING WORKING GROUP
- To coordinate and promote library services provided for distance learners, including information and instructional services, access services, and interlibrary loan and document delivery services.
- To address issues related to providing library services to distance learners.
Membership to be appointed by LC:
The representative members serve staggered two year terms.
- Distance Learning Librarian (ex-officio)
- Head, Library Instruction (ex officio)
- One Access Services WG representative (chosen by ASWG)
- One Hum/Soc library faculty representative (chosen by Library Council after soliciting volunteers)
- Two faculty members representing a cross-section of WSU-Pullman campus library units (chosen by Library Council after soliciting volunteers)
- One urban campus library faculty representative (chosen by Library Council after soliciting volunteers)
The Distance Learning Working Group reports to the Assistant Director for Public Services & Outreach. The working group will select its own chair for a 6-month minimum term of office and will meet regularly or as needed. The group will coordinate its activities with other working groups and library departments, as warranted. Working groups will establish procedures and make policy within the scope of their responsibilities. Working groups are accountable for their decisions and are expected to share decisions with library colleagues using the standard working groups procedure. Any proposals generated by a working group that require funding for implementation must be referred to Library Council for funding approval. Similarly, any proposals with very broad policy implications also need Library Council approval. The chair of the working group is expected to attend the monthly meeting of Public Services department heads, and to update Library Council on the working group's activities on a regular basis.
- To develop consistent, system-wide policies regarding the provision of information and instructional services, access services, and interlibrary loan and document delivery services to distance learners.
- To identify and address issues related to the provision of library services to distance learners.
- To assist with the development of policies, procedures, and priorities related to the provision of library services to distance learners.
- To assess both the impact of the need to provide library services to distance learners on library resources, and the quality of the services being provided.
- To advise the Heads of WSU Libraries Public Service units on the implementation of policies related to distance learners.
- To share information and expertise relating to the provision of library services to distance learners with library colleagues.
- To coordinate activities with other WSU Libraries working groups as needed.
APPROVED by Library Council 10/23/02; added Head, LI (ex officio) & changed one of the 3 Pullman lib fac reps to 1 Hum/Soc lib fac rep 6/4/03; eliminated Head, ILL & Circ Coord (both ex officio) and added 1 RSWG rep 10/1/03; Access Services WG replaces Resource Sharing WG 10/27/04