EMPLOYEES DEVELOPMENT WORKING GROUP **(DISBANDED 4/21/04)**
- To address issues related to the well being of library employees in terms of professional development.
- To work with the Libraries Advancement Working Group to actively pursue funding to support employee participation in work-related continuing education and training opportunities and conference attendance.
- To provide opportunities to build community and improve morale.
- To coordinate training efforts with the Systems Librarian in charge of computer-related training.
NOTE: Individual personnel issues and issues relating solely to faculty promotion and tenure are outside the scope of this Working Group.
Membership to be appointed by Library Council:
- One representative from the Faculty Development Committee
- Personnel Coordinator (ex officio)
- 5 members representing a cross-section of library employees and units (chosen by Library Council after soliciting volunteers)
- Editor of Web newsletter, Libwire (ex officio)
The representative members serve 2 year terms.
Governance:The Employees Development Working Group reports to the Director of Libraries. The working group will select its own chair for a 6 month minimum term of office and will meet regularly or as needed. The group will coordinate its activities with other working groups and library departments, as warranted. Working groups will establish procedures and make policy within the scope of their responsibilities. Working groups are accountable for their decisions and are expected to share decisions with library colleagues using the standard working groups procedure. Any proposals generated by a working group that require funding for implementation must be referred to Library Council for funding approval. Similarly, any proposals with very broad policy implications also need Library Council approval. The chair of the working group is expected to update Library Council on its activities on a regular basis.
APPROVED by Library Council: 7/22/98; Revised 8/19/98; Revised 9/15/99; Revised membership 8/9/00; revised 11/29/00; revised membership and role 7/11/01
- To develop an overall continuing education and training plan based on identified needs.
- To coordinate implementation of the training plan.
- To identify continuing education and training resources available and to use them effectively.
- To provide opportunities to build commmunity and improve morale through employee recognition and appreciation, through publishing the online newsletter, LIBWIRE, and facilitating events for employee interaction.
- To identify, share information, and provide training in matters related to benefits and responsibilities of individuals as employees of WSU.