WSU LIBRARIES HEALTH & SAFETY WORKING GROUP
Approved by Director’s Advisory Council, 2/1/06
To address issues related to the safety of library employees and library users. Library Civil Service Staff, A/P, and Faculty are eligible to serve on the Health & Safety WG.
WSU safety committees – mandated roles and responsibilities:
Each campus area is mandated by law to appoint a Safety committee. Safety committees provide a forum for employees and managers to work together and to participate in WSU’s environmental, health, and safety efforts. Committee members utilize their expertise to evaluate safety concerns and recommend solutions to make work practices and facilities safer. Safety committees coordinate with unit administrators, supervisors, and employees in:
- creating and maintaining active interest in health and safety and reducing the occurrence of workplace injuries and illnesses within their unit;
- identifying problems, monitoring and enhancing workplace health and safety;
- introducing employees to new safety programs, equipment, and safe work practices;
- promoting and publicizing health and safety issues within their unit.
The Dean of Libraries is responsible for establishing and supporting the Libraries Health and Safety WG. Civil Service staff are required to elect fellow employees to represent them on the Committee (see below). Three faculty &/or AP representatives are appointed by the Dean (see below). The number of appointed members cannot exceed the number of employee-elected members.
1. Elected members: (1 year term)
a. Non-supervisory Civil Service employees elect fellow workers to represent them for a one year term. Members may be re-elected by their peers. Once volunteers are identified, ballots are distributed and an election is held (by the Library Administrative Office). Vacancies will be filled by special elections.
- Constituency #1: One representative elected from within the Architecture Library, Brain Education Library, Fischer Agricultural Sciences Library, Owen Science & Engineering Library, Animal Health Library
- Constituency #2: One representative elected from within the following Holland &Terrell Library units: Access Services, Reference Work Area
- Constituency #3: One representative elected from within the following Holland & Terrell Library units: Library Administrative Office, Systems, Manuscripts Archives & Special Collections
Constituency #4: Two representatives from Technical Services (Holland & Terrell Library)
- b. Supervisory Civil Service employees elect one fellow supervisor to represent them for a one year term.
- Libraries’ representative to the University Health and safety Committee – ex officio
- Three faculty or A/P members -- appointed by the Dean of Libraries
The Health & Safety WG reports to the Dean of Libraries. The committee will meet a minimum of six times a year. The chair will be elected by committee members for a minimum 6 month term of office. The committee determines meeting dates, times, and locations. The duration of each meeting may not exceed one hour except by majority vote of the committee.
At these meetings, the committee should first decide upon some objectives, and there should be an agenda to guide the meetings. Agenda items should focus on fulfilling committee responsibilities. The following items should be addressed at each meeting:
- Evaluate incident reports, investigation reports, and hazard notifications to determine causes and prevent recurrence;
- Evaluate the unit’s accident prevention program and discuss recommendations for improvement;
- Review workplace safety inspection reports to identify problems and propose solutions;
- Review job procedures and recommend improvements; and
- Report progress on safety projects selected by unit supervisor and safety committee members.
Minutes of each meeting should be documented using the form in the Safety Policies and Procedures Manual (SPPM 20.20.3), or a similar document that covers the same areas. Minutes are kept on file for at least one year. Copies must be provided to the:
- Dean of Libraries (via the Minutes Archive and Decisions Digest),
- Department employees (via the Minutes Archive and Decisions Digest),
- Environmental Health and Safety Office. For additional information on Safety Committees see: http://www.ehs.wsu.edu/ohs/ohs-SafetyCommittee.html and search for “Factsheets.”