LIBRARY COUNCIL (LC)
Superseded by DAC 2-22-06 (See LC Minutes from 9/21/05 - 2/8/06)
Role and specific charges:
The Library Council serves as a cross-unit and cross-classification administrative group that is advisory to the Director of Libraries and may have decision making authority as delegated by the Director of Libraries.
Library Council has the following specific responsibilities:
The Director, Assistant Directors, and LAO Finance/Administrative Officer serve ex officio, i.e., by virtue of their titles. The LFAC representative serves for 1 year. The Bargaining Unit representatives, the "unrepresented staff" member, and the elected faculty representatives serve for 2 years, with staggered terms of office, to insure some continuity and some change each year. The unit representatives' terms are determined by the units (minimum term of 6 months). The system-wide Circulation representative serves for 1 year.
The Director of Libraries will chair Library Council meetings. Library Council will meet regularly as needed. The LAO secretary will record minutes and distribute the minutes & agendas electronically to all library faculty and staff via the ‘Decision Digest/Minutes Archive.’
Approved by Library Council: 12/10/97; Revised 10/7/98; Rev 5/99; Rev 6/07/00; member title changes 3/26/01; membership expanded 9/11/02; Rev 12/18/02; Major revision 3/31/04; updated AD titles and updated USSD to CTS (Collections & Technical Services) 5/3/04
- Work to create a shared and balanced sense of system-wide library priorities among all members of the Libraries staff
- Continually work to improve communications within the Libraries, including identifying issues for discussion
- Disseminate and collect information
- Constructively represent diverse opinions on discussion items
- Help to establish strategic priorities and allocate the Libraries' intellectual, human, and financial resources
- Assist in the preparation of the Libraries' budget requests and establishment of capital priorities
- Develop and implement specific goals that support the Libraries' values, mission and vision
- Establish groups to carry out specific tasks
- Assist in identifying ways to measure the Libraries' progress toward meeting our goals.
- Director of Libraries
- LAO Finance/Administrative Officer
- Assistant Director for Administration & Organizational Development
- Assistant Director for Collections & Technical Services
- Assistant Director for Digital Services/Collections
- Assistant Director for Public Services & Outreach
- Two library faculty members elected by the library faculty
- One LFAC representative, selected by the Library Faculty Affairs Committee
- Five classified/exempt staff members; four are selected by their respective bargaining units; one is elected from the staff members not represented by a bargaining unit by these staff members.
- One representative selected by each the following units: Humanities/Social Sciences Public Services (including Architecture Library); Owen Science & Engineering Library (including Fischer Ag Sci Library); Animal Health Library; Brain Education Library; ILL/ECLS; Library Instruction; Digital Services/Collections; MASC; CTS-Acquisitions; CTS-Cataloging; CTS-Serials.
- One representative from system-wide Circulation selected by the Circulation Working Group.