LIBRARIES ADVANCEMENT WORKING GROUP **(DISBANDED 4/21/04)**
- To assist the Director of Libraries and the Director of Development in defining priorities and strategies for raising private funds for the Libraries and for securing important donated collections.
- To help identify potential grant opportunities to support library related projects and to instill a sense of grantsmanship among the library faculty and staff.
Membership to be appointed by LC:
- Development Director
- Development support staff
- Head of Manuscripts, Archives and Special Collections
- 2 library faculty (chosen by Library Council after soliciting volunteers)
- 2 library staff (chosen by Library Council after soliciting volunteers)
- 1 Library Instruction rep (chosen by Library Council after soliciting volunteers)
The members will serve for 2 year terms.
Governance:The Libraries Advancement Working Group reports to the Director of Libraries. The working group will select its own chair for a 6 month minimum term of office and will meet regularly or as needed. The group will coordinate its activities with other working groups and library departments, as warranted. Working groups will establish procedures and make policy within the scope of their responsibilities. Working groups are accountable for their decisions and are expected to share decisions with library colleagues using the standard working groups procedure. Any proposals generated by a working group that require funding for implementation must be referred to Library Council for funding approval. Similarly, any proposals with very broad policy implications also need Library Council approval. The chair of the working group is expected to update Library Council on its activities on a regular basis.
- To help establish library development priorities for the Libraries each year.
- To identify special funding opportunities for the Libraries and solicit funding sources.
- To increase the donor base in the Libraries through "friend raising," direct mail, phonothons, etc.
- To increase awareness among donors and potential donors of Libraries' concerns and issues.
- To identify potential donors and match their interests with priorities from the Libraries.
APPROVED by Library Council: 6/24/98; Revised 9-11-02; Revised 10/16/02; LI member added 7/16/03