SERIALS WORKING GROUP
- To maximize efficiency, effectiveness and service to users in serials control.
- To develop standardized serials processes, practices, and documentation system-wide.
Membership to be appointed by LC:
- Serials Coordinator (ex officio)
- Head, Serials & Electronic Resources (ex officio)
- Cataloging Librarian (ex officio)
- 1 representative each from: Ag Sci, Education, and Health Sciences/Architecture
- 1 representative from the urban campus libraries
- 1 representative reference librarian
The representative members serve two year terms.
The Serials Working Group reports to the Assistant Director for Collections & Technical Services. The working group will select its own chair for a 6 month minimum term of office and will meet regularly or as needed. The group will coordinate its activities with other working groups and library departments, as warranted. Working groups will establish procedures and make policy within the scope of their responsibilities. Working groups are accountable for their decisions and are expected to share decisions with library colleagues using the standard working groups procedure. Any proposals generated by a working group that require funding for implementation must be referred to Library Council for funding approval. Similarly, any proposals with very broad policy implications also need Library Council approval. The chair of the working group is expected to update Library Council on its activities on a regular basis.
- To develop consistent system-wide serial record policies.
- To ensure consistency in the display of serial records in the OPAC to promote maximum user understanding.
- To coordinate the activities related to the use of the Griffin Serials module and seek ways to make this information increasingly user oriented and efficient.
- To ensure that all Serials staff develop relevant expertise using the Griffin Serials module and are kept informed about upgrades and enhancements in the module.
- To recommend enhancements in the Serials module that will be communicated to Innovative Interfaces, Inc.
To share information and expertise related to serial record issues with all library staff as appropriate.
APPROVED by Library Council: 7-15-98; membership revised 8/22/01; revised 9-11-02; changed AD's title to AD for Collections & Technical Services 4/28/04; added Head, Serials & Electronic Resources (ex officio) and changed "Electronic/Serials Catalog Librarian" to "Cataloging Librarian" (ex officio) 7-18-05